Monday, November 21, 2011

Inspired by a pigeon!

While perusing all the fun things in my blog reader last week, I came across this great post on the awesome blog, No Big Dill. How fun! Create an original piece, using inspiration from children's books. I knew right away I wanted to play. The finished item evolved over several days and several revisions.


I rummaged through books and decided on the Pigeon books by Mo Willems. (So did Christie!) My first grader got a kick out of these books, so we picked up The Pigeon Wants a Puppy at his school book fair last year.



I decided to take the pigeon illustration and replicate it as a fun jacket.



I incorporated thrifted and new items into the design. I started with a cotton button down shirt in blue. The blue is a bit darker than the pigeon in the books, however I wanted it to coordinate with a cute polka dot cotton window panel I already had. I used the polka dot as the lining. I gave it a white ruffled collar like Mr. Pigeon has, a black outline and yellow buttons like his beak. I added a white shash belt and embroidered the first line in the book. "Oh, hello."

It's playful, colorful and not something I would have put together otherwise.



This was a great lesson in learning to look at things differently and taking inspiration from the things I live amongst.


...and my product tester approves!

1 comment:

  1. I have found high quality of Pigeon Baby Products from a2zbaby, where you can buy all kind of baby products with best price. Every day thousands of people visit this baby store because they will find everything under the one roof. I have purchased baby products so now I want to recommend you for visit a2zbaby.

    ReplyDelete